Tip: Turn ventilation on over the cooktop before adding the red wine vinegar to the skillet. This will lessen the impact of the fumes.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Hot Bacon Dressing Ingredients:
6 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1” pieces
½ cup of red onion, diced small
¼ cup of red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons of honey, preferably local
½ teaspoon of Dijon mustard
¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
4 cups of baby spinach, rinsed and patted dry
8-10 large fresh strawberries, sliced
100 grams of goat cheese, crumbled
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Add bacon to a large skillet set over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until crispy, approximately 10 minutes. Transfer cooked bacon with a slotted spatula to a plate lined with paper towels. Blot excess grease from bacon with a paper towel and set aside.
- Carefully drain and discard all but one tablespoon bacon grease from the skillet and return to heat. (Wipe any drips with a thick, damp cloth to prevent a flare up if cooking over flame). Add the red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add red wine, honey, and Dijon mustard. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, until thoroughly combined and heated through, approximately 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and stir bacon and extra virgin olive oil into the skillet until combined. Continue simmering on low heat while preparing the salad.
- Add the baby spinach, sliced strawberries, and goat cheese to a large mixing bowl. Pour hot bacon dressing on top and toss to combine. Transfer salad to a large serving platter or individual chilled plates and serve immediately. Enjoy!