Cook times can vary significantly across different slow cooker models.
Prep time: 10 minutes (+ 10 minutes to brown sausage)
Cook time: 4-6 hours low
Non-stick cooking spray (or melted butter or coconut oil)
500 grams of mild bulk sausage (no casings)
1 600 gram bag hash browns, shredded
½ a teaspoon of ground cumin
½ a teaspoon of garlic powder
1 medium red pepper, finely chopped
8 large eggs
½ a cup of water
¼ of a teaspoon of chipotle powder
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
1 cup of Monterey Jack (or other mild white) cheese, finely shredded
Chopped green onions, red pepper, fresh cilantro, and/or additional shredded cheese
- Spray a 5 litre or larger slow cooker crock with non-stick cooking spray (or grease with melted butter or coconut oil).
- Cook sausage in a large skillet until nicely browned, approximately 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully drain excess grease from the skillet. Set aside.
- Spread hash browns in an even layer across the bottom of the slow cooker crock. Add the browned sausage and sprinkle the ground cumin and garlic powder on top.
- Add the chopped red pepper and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Whisk the eggs and water together in a large bowl and pour evenly across the top of the other ingredients before topping with the shredded cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Serve immediately topped with green onion, red pepper, fresh cilantro, and/or additional shredded cheese, if desired.