This delicious lemon raspberry loaf is a welcome addition to Sunday brunch, or it can be enjoyed as a not-too-sweet treat any time of day. For a little added sweetness, be sure to add a light drizzle of the optional lemon glaze right before serving.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45-50 minutes
½ a cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup of granulated sugar + 2 tablespoons for sprinkling
2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/3 of a cup of unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoons of fresh lemon zest
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 cup of all-purpose/plain flour
½ teaspoon of baking soda
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1 pint fresh raspberries, rinsed and patted dry
Optional Lemon Glaze:
¼ of a cup of powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
½ a tablespoon of fresh lemon zest
- Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 350°F. Line a standard 8½” loaf pan with parchment paper cut to size with the longer edges hanging over the sides. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and one cup sugar together with a hand or stand mixer in a large mixing bowl. Add the vanilla extract, applesauce, lemon juice, and lemon zest and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until incorporated into the mixture.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and stir to combine. Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients a little at a time until incorporated into the batter. Use a plastic spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl while mixing.
- Once the wet and dry ingredients are just blended, carefully fold the raspberries into the batter with a plastic spatula. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle the remaining granulated sugar evenly across the top.
- Place the loaf pan into the pre-heated oven and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. (Check after 40 minutes and adjust final cook time accordingly).
- Remove from oven and carefully lift the parchment paper to transfer the loaf to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If using, prepare the lemon glaze by combining the powdered sugar, two tablespoons lemon juice, and the lemon zest together in a small bowl. Add additional lemon juice, if desired, to adjust the consistency. Set aside.
- Once cooled, drizzle the lemon glaze, if using, on top right before serving.