Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 45-50 minutes
Pie Crust Ingredients:
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1¼ cups of vegetable shortening
7-12 tablespoons of ice-cold water
Pie Filling Ingredients:
6 cups of peeled and sliced apples
2/3 of a cup of granulated sugar
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/8 of a teaspoon of ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, cut into 4 or 5 pieces
Note: To make a deep dish pie, double the filling ingredients and roll out the bottom crust to a 30 cm diameter.
- Place top oven rack in center position and preheat oven to 230 degrees celsius (450°F).
- To prepare pie crust, add flour, salt, and vegetable shortening to a large bowl and mix with a hand mixer. Gradually add ice-cold water until the dough binds together and can form a ball. Place in the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add sliced apples, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a large bowl and toss gently to combine.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide into 2 even sections. Roll out each piece of dough into a 25 cm inch diameter for a 23cm pie.
- Line a 23 cm pie pan with one of the crusts. Transfer the apple filling to the pie crust.
- Place top crust over the pie and crimp the edges together. Cut 4-5 vents into the top crust with a sharp knife and place a small piece of butter in each. Cover edges with foil or a pie crust protector to prevent over browning.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 230°C (450°F). Reduce temperature to 180°C (350°F) and continue baking for another 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving with some Vanilla Ice Cream, if desired.